73

Teatro Thalia

Fortunato Lodi, 1842

Gonçalo Byrne e Barbas Lopes Arquitectos, 2012

Daniel Malhão

Regular Visits

Visit to the space accompanied by our team of volunteers present at the location.

Maximum 30 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Wheelchair access

Photography allowed

Description

Built in 1820 by the first Count of Farrabo, the Teatro Thalia underwent renovation work in 1842 for the installation of gas lighting. In 1862 it was destroyed by fire and remained in that state until 2009. The space as it is today is the result of a reimagining of the auditorium and stage. The ambience of a ruin remains visible in the interior, itself constituting an imposing theatrical setting. On the façade the peristyle is marked by four white marble columns with sphinxes at their base. The triangular pediment, with a plain tympanum and topped with a statue of Erato, bears the Latin inscription Hic Mores Hominum Castigantur (Here the mores of men shall be punished).

Location

Estrada das Laranjeiras, 211

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: 701, 726, 764

Subway: Jardim Zoológico (Linha Azul)

Train: Sete Rios (Linhas de Norte, da Azambuja, de Sintra e do Sul)