53

Patriarcal Water Cistern

Louis-Charles Mary, 1864

Mário Varandas Monteiro, 1994

Museu da Água - EPAL

Open Visits

Visit with no monitoring, within the designated timetable.

Regular Visits

Visit to the space accompanied by our team of volunteers present at the location.

Maximum 25 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Photography allowed

Description

The majestic stone chamber that constitutes the Reservatório da Patriarcal (water cistern) is located below the Príncipe Real garden. Built between 1860 and 1864, the water cistern was once the most important point of water distribution for the lower-lying inner city. Octogonal in form, it features 31 pillars measuring 9.25 metres supporting stonework vaulting, giving the space an air of grandiosity. Fed by the Águas Livres aqueduct, it was deactivated in 1949. It also provides underground access to the Galeria do Loreto, which extends for 410 m, connecting to São Pedro de Alcântara garden.

Location

Jardim do Príncipe Real

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: 758, 773

Subway: Rato (Linha Amarela)