64

Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras Water Cistern

Carlos Mardel, Séc XVIII

Museu da Água - EPAL

Open Visits

Visit with no monitoring, within the designated timetable.

Regular Visits

Visit to the space accompanied by our team of volunteers present at the location.

Open House Junior

Bring Water to town! →

Maximum 25 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Photography allowed

Description

First proposed in 1746 and completed in 1834, the Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras water cistern collected and distributed the water brought into the city via the Aqueduto das Águas Livres (see above). With a capacity of 5,500 m3, it is 7.5 metres deep. The space features vaulted ceilings of great beauty, and a terrace on the roof affords magnificent views over Lisbon. Completed after the death of Carlos Mardel, it is a veritable “cathedral to water” that goes much further than serving its original function – it is one of the city’s most emblematic historic monuments.

Location

Praça das Amoreiras, 10

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: 706, 720, 727, 738, 758, 773, 774

Subway: Rato (Linha Amarela)