12

Convento das Bernardas - Museu da Marioneta

Vários autores, Séculos XVII - XX

José Frade

Open Visits

Visit with no monitoring, within the designated timetable.

Access only to the cloister

Regular Visits

Visit to the space accompanied by our team of volunteers present at the location.

Accessibility Visits

Visits with adequate mediation for the following public: blind, low vision, deaf people or with intellectual disabilities.

Visita para pessoas com deficiência intelectual, máx 15 pessoas

Open House Junior

Monastery Door-to-Door →

Maximum 25 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Photography allowed

Description

This convent is a building of indisputable historical and architectural value, first and foremost its cloister forming an irregular square. Founded in 1653 and rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755, the convent was occupied by nuns up until the dissolution of the religious orders in Portugal. It has served as a school, a polytechnic college, a cinema and theatre, and the headquarters of a philharmonic band. Today, after renovation carried out by its owner, Lisbon City Council, it is home to the Puppet Museum, a restaurant, housing and local community groups, and plays a central role in the life of the Madragoa neighbourhood.

Location

Rua da Esperança, 146

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: Cais do Sodré

Train: Santos (Linha de Cascais)